Sunrooms are great, but in many parts of the country they are down right unbearable during the intense summer and winter months.
Have you ever thought about Plantation Shutters for your sunroom?
Plantation Shutters will:
- Add greater energy efficency, saving you money
- Allow greater control of intense sunlight that can fade furnishings
- Add beauty and charm to your sunroom
In order to maximize the original purpose of the room (openness to the outside) there are a few design tips to keep in mind.
- Order a large louver size (the larger the better)
- Consider adding hidden tilt, to keep the least amount of obstruction to your view
- Order your shutter panels as large as is reasonable with your window configuration. This will minize the presence of too many stiles (vertical piece of the shutter) taking up more space than necessary. Kirtz will build custom shutters with warranty up to 38″ wide. We’ve often successfully built larger than 38″ wide panels, consult a sales rep for more details if you are interested.
Customization for Your Needs
The standard plantation shutter in a sunroom is typically set in a frame, and the shutter panel is hinged to the frame.
Another option is to place your shutters on a sliding track. The benefit of this configuration is that one shutter panel will slide over another, fully opening up 1/2 of the window without swinging into the room. This makes furniture placement much easier. However, determining if this application will work for your sunroom is important, as a slider shutter frame is typically 5 1/2″ deep, compared to a standard shutter frame that is only 2- 2 1/2″ deep.